Search Engine Optimization Ideas for New Websites
IF your a small business with a relatively new website an SEO campaign could be the perfect thing to jump start your business. When a new business starts out it can be difficult to rank on the search-engines with a new website. Google puts a lot of weight on domain age and authority content, and if you have a new site, getting noticed is a challenge.
One way to get noticed is to launch a Google Ad-word campaign, but this can be very costly for a new business that hasn’t quite refined and defined who exactly is their customer. The biggest problem with an Adword campaign, is soon as you stop paying, all traffic ceases instantaneously.
SEO Ideas to jump start a new website
So here are some tips and ideas that can help build SEO momentum for a new business. These ideas are primarily focused on building organic traffic and improving organic SERPs (Serach Engine Result Pages)
- Try to define the main keywords that explain your business and have SEO in mind before you build a website. Try to identify the main keywords/phrases & questions that your potential customers would use to find your business. When you build your website you can structure it around your keywords with SEO in mind. Many people make the mistake of building websites primarily from a visual stand point and figure they will worry about SEO & marketing later.
- Try to shoot for 20 or more pages of content in your website and do some on-page optimization for your key words focusing on supporting variations for each page. This is why so many companies utilize blogs now. In this day and age its hard to compete for organic rankings with little content. I’ve seen very well on-page optimized website grab a ton of organic traffic without any off-page back-linking
- For your content rich pages try to shoot for 600-700 or more words per page. Most cookie cutter content writers write in the range of 400-600 words per article, so going over 600-700 words separates you from the majority of empty rubbish content being put out. Also the more content on a page means the better chance of grabbing random long tail keywords which means more free traffic.
- Integrate the top Social medias like Facebook & Twitter into your website. By creating a gateway to a Facebook fanpage and back, you leverage both ends. With the new Google freshness update, current up to date web elements will help your rankings for many categories.
Start building manual back-links as soon as possible but spread it out slowly through the month. If you have a new website stay as far a way from automated spam linking as possible. Focus on manually submitted well diversified back-links. If you barrage a new site with mostly low quality automated back-links you can actually lose rankings or even get sand-boxed by Google. Back-linking is an accumulative process so the sooner you get a steady flow the better.
- Always leave comments when researching or browsing the internet if possible. Most blogs allow you to have a link to your profile picture or user-name, this is just bonus link juice. It only takes a minute to drop a quick comment and if you are already there browsing you might as well get a link. TIP: confrontational argumentative, & controversial comments will get you a lot more click throughs then kissing ass boring comments. People love to follow drama
- Hire professionals to do what you don’t know how. If a website is going to be a vital part of your business find an affordable SEO to get you going. Many people make the mistake of thinking they can learn and do their own SEO, or worse, think they can just put up a website then wait for the traffic & customers to just magically appear. Sometimes a website hits the Google lottery with little SEO, but the reality is, thinking like this will cost you valuable time which will lead to a failed discouraged venture.